Frequently Asked Questions

Malaysian Society

If you've checked out the rest of our toolkit and still have questions, have a look over these FAQs before reaching out to our Activities Coordinator Christy.

How do I start a society? 

We’ve made it super easy for you to set up a new society. Take a look here for more info. 


How do I set up a society bank account?

Your society needs to research some banks which have a ‘Society’ or ‘Treasurer’ account. Pick whichever suits you best. Often it can be easier to set up if one of your committee members has an account already set up with the bank you choose.

If you’re asked for a business address, pop down ‘Heriot-Watt University Student Union, Riccarton, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS’. If you need proof of your society, you can use your ‘Reaffiliation Confirmation’ document sent to you when your society reaffiliated with the Student Union. If you need another/updated copy, send a message to Christy.  

More information about banking right here. 


How can my society get funding? 

Your society needs to apply to the Societies Development Fund to be considered for funding. If you’re looking for under £300, your application can be accepted at any time and is discussed by the Activities Coordinator and VP Community. If you apply for £300+, it will need to be discussed at the next available Societies Council meeting. Click here for more information. 


How does my society get membership fees? 

If your society gave up to date bank details on your reaffiliation form, you should have already had some of your membership fees paid into your society bank account. All membership fees are paid out periodically with the first payment being made towards the end of September.

If your society does not currently have a society bank account and you’d like your fees transferred somewhere else, please get in touch with Christy.


How do I access my societies email account?

Check out our guide here!