Having a society bank account is super important if you want any funding, a sponsorship, or if you want to pay for anything on behalf of the society. You need to make sure you're not using a personal bank account, but one set up specifically for your group. By doing this, you'll be entitled to bid for money from the Societies Development Fund and get membership fees from our website. More about applying for funding can be found here.

Your society needs to research some banks which have a ‘Society’ or ‘Treasurer’ account. Pick whichever suits you best. Often it can be easier to set up if one of your committee members already has an account with the bank you choose.  

If you’re asked for a business address, pop down ‘Heriot-Watt University Student Union, Riccarton, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS’. You can also put a correspondence address if you like. If you need proof of your society, you can use your ‘Reaffiliation Confirmation’ document sent to you when your society reaffiliated with the Student Union. If you need another/updated copy, send a message to Christy.

The Student Union can also provide you with a letter confirming that you are affiliated with us if the bank requires it, Christy can help you with this.