Setting up a new society.
If you have a unique interest and have spotted a niche opportunity, setting up your own society is easy.
1. Find nine more people who are just as interested in your society as you are. Ask your friends, your neighbours and your friends’ neighbours. Drop Polly an email to register your interest. We can advertise your society in our Members Wanted section if you need help finding those nine (If your society is based at our SBC campus, you only need 5 students in total).
2. Once you've found your folks, email Polly to access your affiliation form.
3. Hold a meeting and have an informal election to vote in your society leaders (the people who will run your society). We only require you to have a Treasurer and a President plus at least one other officer; the rest of the positions are up to you. Fill in those affiliation forms and return them to Polly.
4. Once they're complete, the form will be discussed by Societies Council (our monthly societies meeting) where you can pitch your society and answer any questions. The council then votes to approve the society.
5. If the society has been approved, we'll check through your forms and confirm your society is now part of the Student Union. Don't worry if you don't get approved the first time around you can make some changes and try again (although most of our societies are good to go the first try).
6. The final step is to set up a bank account for your society.
Your society is now up and running!
What are you waiting for?
Other things to do.
A great logo can really set you appart from the crowd, there's plenty of great free tools online to make one such as canva's logo designer (we have more information about using canva here.). Once you've created your logo let Polly know!
BACK TO THE TOOLKIT HOMEPAGE.