Apply TO BE A department OFFICER!
What is a Department Officer?
Department Officers are current students who represent the student voice for the whole of their department. They are ‘team leaders’ for all the Class Reps in their department. We have at least 1 Department Officer in each department in the following positions…
What does a Department Officer do?
- Supports Class Reps and works with senior management in their department to solve issues.
- Collect feedback from students and Class Reps on learning and teaching issues.
- Chairs their Student-Staff Liaison Committee meetings twice a semester.
- Attends fortnightly meetings with the Student Union to update the President on issues arising in their department.
- Attends School Committees to input student feedback into changes to courses and programmes.
Benefits of becoming a Department Officer…
- Receive a £150 honorarium twice a year.
- Get specialised training and ongoing support from the Student Union – learn how to…
- represent students’ views democratically
- be an effective student leader
- lead a network of volunteers
- chair meetings
- improve your communication and report writing
- solve problems with multiple stakeholders
- implement positive changes to change the university for your peers and future students
- Become familiar with senior university staff and be one of the first to find out what is going on in your School.
- Attend free events organised by the Student Union and University (snacks included!)
- Get an exclusive Student Union Rep discount card and merch!
- Log your volunteering hours and skills which will appear on your Enhanced Transcript when you graduate.
How do I become a Department Officer?
You will need to fill in an application form, which will be shortlisted by the Student Union.
You can find the application form for your discipline listed above.
If you are shortlisted you will be invited to an informal interview with the Student Union President, Academic Coordinator and a member of staff from your School.
If you would like to receive more information, please get in touch with Molly.