VOLUNTEER TO BE A CLASS REP!
What is a Class Rep?
Class Reps are students who volunteer to represent the voice of students in their year/course by gathering student feedback and attending meetings with Heriot-Watt University and Student Union staff. They are the link between the student body and all levels of staff at the university who make decisions about your learning and teaching experience.
What does a Class Rep do?
- Work with student in their year group to collect feedback on what’s working well and less well on their course.
- Attend Student-Staff Liaison Committees twice a semester with senior staff in your department and School Officer.
- Give regular updates to your Department Officer about issues as they arise and things that are going well.
- Work with lecturers and year coordinators to use student feedback to find the best solution possible.
- Feedback to the students you represent and decisions that are made on the issues you raise.
Benefits of becoming a Class Rep…
- Get specialised training and ongoing support from the Student Union – learn how to…
- represent students’ views democratically
- be an effective student leader
- improve your communication and report writing
- solve problems with multiple stakeholders
- implement positive changes to change the university for your peers and future students
- Become familiar with senior university staff and be one of the first to find out what is going on in your School.
- Attend free events organised by the Student Union and University (snacks included!)
- Get an exclusive Student Union Rep discount card!
- Log your volunteering hours and skills which will appear on your Enhanced Transcript when you graduate.
How do I become a Class Rep?
You will need to let your department know that you are interested in becoming a Class Rep in September 2023….
…but for now, if you would like to receive more information, and be the first to know when recruitment is open, register your interest here….