Student Union Oscars 2023
It’s time for the Student Union Oscars!
What does this mean? The Student Union Oscars are a student-led award ceremony where students have the opportunity to nominate members of the university staff who they feel have demonstrated exceptional teaching, research, and support at Heriot-Watt. For example, do you know an outstanding lecturer? A phenomenal supervisor? A passionate member of safeguarding? Or an incredible lab assistant? The list is endless! If you think they deserve an award, then this is your opportunity to say thank you!
Nominations close 23:45 on 16/04, so make sure to nominate soon!
- Most Supportive Member of Staff - This award is for any member of staff, academic and non-academic, who has gone above and beyond the requirements of their role to help you progress as a student.
- Innovation in Teaching - This award is for staff who use creative methods to deliver an exciting and different learning experience for you.
- Best Supervisor Award - These awards are for the supervisors who went above and beyond to support you when working on your dissertation or final project, supporting you from idea to completion, giving advice and feedback. There will be 3 winners for this category – Undergraduate, Masters, and PhD.
- Student Voice Award - This award is for an individual or group of staff members who actively seek and use student feedback to make the student experience the best it can be.
- Personal Tutor Award - This award is for a personal tutor who has excelled at guiding you through your academic journey, providing you with support, advice and direction.
- Academic Community Award - This award is for an individual or group of staff members that have done the utmost to keep classes engaged, connected, and supported.
- Graduates' Teaching Award - This award is for an individual that has done the utmost to support students who will be graduating this academic year.
How do I write a good nomination
Now, you may be wondering, how do I write a good nomination?
Remember that the only information the judging panel will see and base their decisions on is the nominations you submit and how well they match the criteria for the category you are nominating them in. So, avoid the one-liners, and tell us why YOU feel they deserve it!
A good nomination should provide clear examples which demonstrate why the person you have nominated has fulfilled the criteria and deserves to win the award. Be sure to carefully read the criteria and submit your nomination for the category where the examples are most appropriate.
To nominate, fill in the form for the relevant award above.
The winners will be announced at a star-studded award ceremony, and every single staff member nominated will receive a copy of their nominations letting them know that you think they are amazing!