What’s the job?
We are looking for a motivated, inspiring and organised person to join us as our new Bar & Catering Manager. The Student Union is a multi-outlet space consisting of a café, bar and nightclub/venue, located on the Heriot-Watt campus at Riccarton. We’re the only licensed space and late-night outlet on campus and offer everything from breakfast through to midnight snacks.
The main parts of the role are:
- Making sure our outlets look presentable at all times
- Managing the staff team to make sure everything runs smoothly (from creating the rotas, to leading by example and motivating the team)
- Placing orders to make sure we don’t run out of anything, and recording all deliveries in the stock control system
- Working with the team to constantly develop our food menu to make sure it’s what people want at a price they’re willing to pay
- You’ll be the Duty Manager some evenings / weekends each week to make sure everything is done how you want, in line with our SOP’s
Ideally we’re looking for someone who can fit in to our team and be confident in making sure our outlets are always living up to people’s expectations.
This is a full-time job – working 35 hours per week. Shifts will vary based on what’s needed but we wouldn’t expect you to work in excess of these hours, or more than 5 days per week. The role will include evening and weekend work, and we’d expect the role to cover the Duty Manager shift at least twice per week (to make sure everything is working how you want!). We open reduced hours during University vacation times so shift times will change.
This job is not suitable for student applicants as it requires regular commitment through the day during the week - and you will have classes to attend!
WHO ARE WE?
We are Heriot-Watt University Student Union - an independent charity that is run by and for students. While we are a charity, we also run trading services (food & drink venues and a shop) that aim to make a surplus. We use this surplus to invest in other vital student support services such as advice & support and volunteering.
Ultimately our main goal is to make sure that Heriot-Watt students have THE BEST TIME whilst studying here. Our purpose is clear and simple – to put Students First, Always. We live by five values – we are fun, welcoming, brave, empowering and student focussed.
You’ll join a friendly, hardworking and professional team and have a real opportunity to make a difference to our members – while having some fun along the way.
WHAT DO YOU GET?
We’re a charity, so we offer as much as we can…
- You will be paid between £23,000 and £25,000 per year, depending on experience
- 28 days paid holiday per year
- An extra 9 fixed days off per year (we close completely between Christmas and New Year and give you Good Friday and Easter Monday off too)
- Our organisational culture discourages excessive hours being worked each week, and we try to assist our team to manage their time effectively
- We give 25% staff discount in all our outlets (some exceptions apply)
- We have a good pension available
- You’ll work with a range of different people, from our permanent staff to our casual student team
- Plus, you’ll get that warm fuzzy feeling inside that you’re helping the students of HW get even more out of studying on campus
Is this the job for you?
If you answer yes to these questions, then this job might suit you perfectly!
- Do you have experience managing a food and drink outlet?
- Do you enjoy going the extra mile and delivering exceptional customer service?
- Do you like working with a range of people, from full-time career staff to part-time casual staff?
- Do you look forward to variety in your day, never knowing what will be thrown at you?
- Do you like to keep organised, but enjoy when something unexpected comes along?
- Are you a Scottish Personal Licence Holder?
This role probably isn't best suited to an existing student, due to the hours and shifts required.
If you’re not yet sure and want to have an informal chat about the job please contact Stewart Macdonald-O’Brien, Head of Commercial Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this role, please send your CV along with a covering letter outlining why you'd be the best person for this role, to email@example.com.
Click here to download the full job description and person spec