It's time for real change, it's time to demand better!
1. What would you bring to the role?
A vote for me is a vote for someone with the experience and a record fighting for the issues that we as students care about
Currently, I am President of the Society for Progressive Students, I promote and advocate for progressive ideas. In this role, I have successfully implemented Ecosia to all of our campuses. Additionally, I lead the efforts to get Heriot-Watt to stop investing money into the Fossil-Fuel Industry.
When students lead the charge for better, we achieve better outcomes, I want to take this mindset to make our university a better place for all.
My experience is the result of chairing committees and being the president of the Society for Progressive Students, I have the experience and drive to push our union in the right direction to create a better environment for students which is representative of the student population.
My Record and Experience prove I have the drive and will to stand up for students and demand we get better.
- Helped run the campaign which brought Ecosia to campus
- Passed policy for the union to support our lecturers on strike
- Passed policy for the union to mandate the union to pressure the university to stop investing in fossil fuels.
- Ensured the Nestle Boycott continues for another four years
2. What one thing should a Student Member of Parliament act on in the next academic year?
We should help not harm drug users.
3. What specific aims and goals do you have for enhancing the student experience?
I will advocate for a "Help Not Harm" approach, where we offer drug users harm reduction resources and drug testing kits to ensure if a student is to take drugs that they are doing so in a safe manner that minimises risk. Punishing drug users has been proven to NOT WORK, instead of punishing we should offer help, be that either; counselling, safe ways to dispose of unwanted drugs, testing kits to ensure they aren't taking in any unexpected and dangerous mixtures and educational resources.
The above is just one of the rational approaches which I consider to be a common-sense policy in our educational environment, drawing on research and data to care for my fellow humans and ultimately put the people first. This type of policy is what I will advocate for: I hope to make our Union a bastion of progressivism!
If elected to this role I will;
- Fight for students’ rights and protections.
- Promote equality and diversity within our university.
- Highlight the issues students at Heriot-Watt are facing.
- Promote inclusivity and support for the LGBTQ+ community.
- Fight for more mental health support.
- Ensure more sustainable policies are introduced.
Another key thing I will do is highlight the numerous issues students are facing including;
- 12% of students are homeless.
- Students are in poverty.
- 1/3 of students want to drop out due to mental health.
These are issues we are all familiar with and no doubt know somebody facing these struggles. We must demand better from our University and Government in order to address these crises which students face. We must drive our student union and university to address these issues not only at our university but more importantly at a national level.
4. Where can I find out more about your campaign?
You can message me on any of the following:
My personal Instagram
My Personal Email