Health and Wellbeing

We want you to feel your best so you can make the most of your time at Heriot-Watt!

We strongly recommend you register with a doctor. Riccarton General Practice is located on campus and you’ll be encouraged to register with them when you matriculate. We also have a dentist on campus which you should register with as well.

Mental health support and awareness is an area we do a lot of work in. Many students are affected by stress and anxiety all year round. Remember, it’s okay not to be okay. Drop in for a confidential chat in our peaceful space.

In an Emergency

In an emergency, dial 999. You should also alert Campus Security as soon as possible; not only are they trained first aiders but they are needed to direct emergency services to your location. Pick up any red phone on campus, which will dial them automatically; dial 2222 from any phone on campus, such as your halls phone; or tap either “emergency” or First Aid” on the SafeZone to bring security to your location.

Mental Health

Mental health is something that can affect us all, and it's okay to talk about it. Anxiety and stress are common amongst students. We support university campaigns to promote and raise awareness of positive mental health. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, don’t hesitate to pop in for a chat.

Sexual Health

We take safe sex seriously. The C:Card service is a confidential, NHS run service providing free condoms. We’ll take your date of birth and the first part of your postcode (for statistical reasons only) and then you’ll be provided with your very own C:Card. Bring it to us and you’ll then have free access to our varied selection of condoms.

It is vital that if you are sexually active, or have any reason to think you may have contracted an STI, you get checked. Lothian Sexual Health can be found at 2A Chalmers Street and provide a variety of services and advice, including STI tests. Don’t be embarrassed to get tested – it’s what sensible people do.

Useful Links