Everyone deserves to be seen and heard, and for most of us, this isn't a problem.
BUT DID YOU KNOW:
- In 2018, half of all LGBT people in Scotland reported experiencing depression
- 52% of trans people have considered taking their own lives
- In 2018, 103,379 hate crimes were reported in the UK
- It's estimated that 1 in 3 people in the UK are affected by a mental health problem each year
- Disabled people are fifty per cent less likely to hold any formal qualification compared with non-disabled people.
The Union is committed to fighting for the wellbeing ALL its students because YOU deserve better!
We believe that students with protected characteristics (Asian and Ethnic Minority, Black and Mixed Ethnicity, LGBT+, Women, International, and Disabled students), deserve to thrive and succeed. And we believe they should be supported by a dedicated Full Time Officer that advocates for positive change on the issues they face.
DO YOU THINK YOU COULD:
- Work to find solutions to issues that impact the wellbeing of all students?
- Advocate for under-represented students on key university committees ensuring their voice is heard?
- Support the Advice Hub and University Wellbeing Services?
- Run campaigns in support of the wellbeing of all Heriot-Watt students and to celebrate our diversity?
- Facilitate the Union's Wellbeing Group and help drive positive change brought forward by its members?
That might feel like a lot of pressure, but don't worry! The VP Wellbeing isn't alone. They work alongside the rest of the Full Time Officer team and are supported by Student Parliament, the Union's Wellbeing Group, and our BME Advocates.
If elected VP Wellbeing, you'll also have the full support of the Union's staff ready to help YOU succeed!
And don't forget the 10,000 students at Heriot-Watt who want to see the world becoming a better, more inclusive place!
The role of VP Wellbeing is an amazing opportunity to create positive change and leave your mark on Heriot-Watt. But it's also a FULL-TIME JOB! So get paid £20,000 to do what you love, and make life at University the best it can be for ALL its students!
Applications close Monday 15th February. If you want to know more, you can find out about the role here and a breakdown of how the elections process works can be found here.
Maybe this opportunity isn't for you, but you know someone who'd be perfect. You can tell us about someone you think would be great here!