Application deadline: Mon 16 Sep 2019 09:00
Click Apply Now below to complete an application form. If you are successful at this stage, we will ask you to submit a short video of yourself, selling an event from Freshers Week to students. If you are successful at this stage, you will be invited to attend an interview.
What’s the job?
We are looking for an exciting and engaging person to help us make sure everyone at HW knows about our events and activities – and comes along to them!
This is a part time, casual job – we estimate roughly 7-12 hours per week, which may include some evening and weekend work as required. Usual hours will be term-time only. Flexibility is expected depending on what we have going on.
Who are we?
We are Heriot-Watt University Student Union. We’re based at Riccarton and our main goal is to make sure that Heriot-Watt students have THE BEST TIME whilst studying here. We have a bar, café, nightclub and shop, plus we work with Students to make their time at Heriot-Watt the best it can be.
You’ll join a friendly, hardworking and professional team and have a real opportunity to make a difference to our events programme.
What do you get?
You will be paid £7.83 per hour plus holiday pay, and a bonus to be negotiated with the Food & Beverage manager on a weekly basis, gain invaluable experience of promoting a range of events from club nights to Burns Suppers, and have that warm fuzzy feeling inside that you’re helping the students of HW have the best student experience.
Is this job for you?
If you answer yes to these questions, then apply now!
- Are you the sort of person who creates plans for a night out, rather than just following what everyone else is doing?
- Are you able to talk to people, face-to-face (yes, actually in person not just online)?
- Can you quickly build relationships with people?
- Would you be likely to suggest dressing up to promote an event, rather than have to be asked?
- If we hand you a bunch of flyers to hand out, would you say “everyone hates flyers, why don’t we do xxx instead?” rather than just doing as you’re told?
- Are you able to listen to feedback, summarise what is being said and then check if other people think the same?
- Are you able to work with a range of people organising events and help them to succeed, rather than criticise what won’t work?
- Can you work flexible hours, sometimes with little notice?
If you’re not yet sure and want to have an informal chat about the job please contact Andy Walker, Food & Beverage Manager on 0131 451 5333.
Sounds great, what next?
If you think this sounds like the job for you then great! Click Apply Now below and fill in the application for to start the process.
The selection process for this role will be:
- Fill out the application form
- If successful, you will be asked to submit a short video of yourself showing us how you would sell one of our events during Freshers Week to students
- If successful, you will be invited in for a short interview
Events PR Job Description