We're winning to improve the student experience at Heriot-Watt
Here are some of our most recent wins and campaigns
- Successfully calling on the University to reinstate student prices in their catering outlets
We delivered a petiton to the university calling on them to reinstate student pricing in their catering outlets. Following a meeting with the Principal and other university senior managemnet, we're pleased to let you know they've agreed to bring back student pricing.
- More Study Space on the Edinburgh Campus: Learning Commons
Remember you told us and the University that there wasn't enough study space on the Edinburgh Campus?
Now think back to when we took over the whole bridge link with our 'Nowhere to Study' campaign which kick started the campaign to put real pressure on the university to take action.
As well as opening up other rooms around the campus for students to study in instead of the library, the real breakthrough came in September 2016 when the new Learning Commons opened on the Edinburgh Campus. It introduced an additional 200 seats, new PCs, a re-designed and improved catering outlet and new group study rooms.
It took a number of years but your Student Union and the University worked in partnership to make it a reality. You spoke and the University listened!
Keep your eyes peeled for even more improvements to your learning & teaching facilities which are in the pipeline. Your Union will continue to work with the University on this.
What else have we done?
- Lobbied the University against the PREVENT agenda
- New Social Space- 'The Thread' new social space for students now open at the Scottish Borders campus
- Worked with the university to develop study space on the Edinburgh Campus - The James Watt Centre and other teaching rooms across campus have been opened up for studying.
- Called on the University to improve car parking on campus. The University listened and has committed to not removing car parking spaces until compensatory car parking is in place. A new car park (I) opened as a result of the partial closure of car park A.
- Helped to introduce 24/7 library opening during term time
Other campaigns we've been a part of:
NUS and UCU - National Demonstration against the marketisation of education in London
Your sabbatical officers and Heriot-Watt students joined the other Edinburgh universities for the NUS/UCU National Demonstration against the marketisation of education down in London.
Want to start your own campaign? Tell us more about it.
Whether it's to do with the university or something on a bigger scale, we're all ears.