Executive - Sabbatical Officers
President (Academic Affairs, Campaigns, Equality and Diversity)
The President is a Sabbatical Officer-Bearer and the Senior Office-Bearer of The Union. He is responsible for :
- Promoting the aims of The Union and the interests of its members, through representations to the media, general public, University and external bodies.
- Co-ordination of the internal and external activities of The Union.
- Relations with the media and general public, and corporate image.
- Management and development of the central resources of The Union.
- Appointment, pay, conditions of services, grievances and discipline of Union staff.
- Licensing and safety of Union activities, premises and equipment.
The President is chief representative and spokesperson for the Student Union. His job is to represent Heriot-Watt students to the University, the National Union of Students (NUS) and the wider world. He fights to promote, defend and extend the rights of Heriot-Watt students. This year, Mike will be leading our work on Campaigns, Academic and Equality & Diversity.
Vice-President (Activities, Services and SBC)
The Vice-President is a Sabbatical Office-Bearer. They are responsible for:
- Deputising, with the consent of the President
- Promoting the aims of the Union and the interests of its members, through representations to the University and external bodies.
- Co-ordination of the internal and external activities of the Union.
- Advice, campaigns and the provision of information to members on issues affecting students' rights.
- Representation of Union members to the University through committees and any other appropriate means or body.
- Policy and direction of the Union’s communication with members
- Union promotion of equal rights and opportunities for members of the Student Union
- Such other matters as shall be agreed by the Executive from time to time.
This year Laura will be working on Activities, Scottish Borders Campus and Services.
The SBC President is a Sabbatical Office-Bearer. They are responsible for:
- Policy and direction of services and facilities at Scottish Borders Campus
- Representing the students at Scottish Borders Campus to the management of the Scottish Borders campus
- Providing input to The Union on the views of the students at Scottish Borders Campus
- All other cross-Union duties allocated from time to time by the Executive
As the Scottish Borders Campus representative on the Executive, Katie has responsibility for all areas – representation, education, welfare, services and communications on that campus. Katie represents the students of SBC to Heriot-Watt University; working with the other sabbatical officers to ensure the experience in the Scottish Borders is a good one. Katie also organises the events at SBC throughout the year.
Executive - Part-Time Officers
Executive Member (Academic)
Executive Member (Activities)
Executive Member (Equality & Diversity)
Executive Member (Campaigns)
Executive Member (Services)
Executive Member (SBC)
- Representation of the interests of affiliated societies and their members, within the Association.
- Provision of advice and financial support to affiliated societies.
- Oversee publication of an annual handbook and organisation of the Freshers' Fayre
- The overall organisation of all charities events and the delegation of any aspects of this organisation
- To represent and liaise with outside bodies regarding both charities and community action work.
- Coordinate and promote the activities of RAG (Raising and Giving)
- Production of materials and resources to inform and educate all students about the nature of discrimination against women.
- Scrutinising both the Association and the University Equal Opportunities policies to protect the rights of and promote the involvement of women; ensure that the Equal Opportunities policy is properly implemented at all times.
- Work with the NUS and NUS Scotland Women’s Campaigns.
- Ensuring that HWUSA engages in the democratic processes of the NUS and NUS Scotland Women’s Campaigns, for example, submitting motions and/or sending delegates to conference.
- Running appropriate campaigns specific to women students.
Convening regular meetings for female students interested in the Women's Campaign to assist her in her work.
- Increasing the participation of international students.
- Representation, campaigns, and the provision of information and advice on all matters affecting International Students
- Creating a structure within the Students Association to encourage the expression of international students' views.
- Assisting in the creation of a social programme for International Students
Liaise with outside bodies on issues affecting International Students.
- Representation, campaigns and the provision of information and advice of all matters affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered students.
- Assisting in the creation of a social programme for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered students.
- Encouraging an atmosphere within the University, which allows lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered students to be treated equally.
Liaison with outside bodies in support of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered students.
Ethnic Minority Officer
- Production of materials and resources to inform and educate all students about the nature of discrimination against Ethnic Minority Students.
- Scrutinising both the Union and the University Equal Opportunities policies to protect the rights of and promote the involvement of Ethnic Minority; ensure that the Equal Opportunities policy is properly implemented at all times.
- Work with the NUS and NUS Scotland Black Students’ Campaigns.
- Encouraging an atmosphere within the University which allows black students to be treated equally.
- Ensuring that the association engages in the democratic processes of the NUS and NUS Scotland Black Students’ Campaigns, for example, submitting motions and/or sending delegates to conference.
- Running appropriate campaigns specific to Ethnic Minority Students.
- Convening regular meetings for EM students interested in the Ethnic Minority' Campaign to assist him/her in their work.
Disabled Students' Officer
- Representation, campaigns and provision of information on all matters affecting Disabled students
- Encouraging an atmosphere within the University that allows disabled students to be treated equally.
- Advising the Association on making provision for disabled students
Meetings will be held twice a semester to discuss issues that students face at Heriot Watt, more information will be sent out in emails from Student Welfare Services. My main role is to represent your views to the university and the Student's Union, this happens at the various meetings and committees attended.
The following positions are currently vacant. There will be a by-election to fill these positions.
- Mature & Postgraduate Students' Officer